Monday, June 15, 2009

The Birthday Week


Here at the Stolen Colon house, we don’t just celebrate your birthday on the actual day; we celebrate all week long! (Don’t you wanna come live with me? Well at least for the week for your birthday day, huh?) Last weekend kicked off my thirtieth birthday week celebration. So far we have grabbed lunch at an eclectic delicatessen place that usually has way too long of a wait for Scott’s patience. (Marie Catribs, for my Gr’s peeps.) Then we spent most of the day Saturday walking around my Alma Mater, just hanging out taking some pictures (which all turned out crappy, must learn how to take better pictures in craptastic lighting) and visiting local haunts. Later we spent a few hours visiting my niece and nephew. Oh yeah, and their parents!

I know I’ve joked in the past about being a bit freaked about the approaching big three-oh. But really I’m not. Honest. I welcome this and every birthday I am blessed with from here on out. After the last year, I have new outlook on birthdays. They are a blessing, not something to dread or hide from. So on Thursday I will not cry. (You hear that Dad, unlike you I won’t cry!) I won’t moan or mope. I will cheer. I will celebrate. I will climb on my roof and shout! (ok for those of you who have actually seen me attempt to stand on a roof, know that last statement was a lie.) I will toast having made it through this past year. I will party like I am turning 30 or something.

To be honest, sometimes I do feel just a bit surprised that I am 30. I mean what ever happened to 26? Seriously did I sleep through fours years of my life or something? Did I lose them? I had assumed by the time I was 30, I would have done so much more. Finished having kids, seen the world, have had some important career. Oh well.

So I am not where I thought I would be. Hey I never thought I had cancerous bullshit growing inside me either. Life can throw you for loops; it is just all in how you roll with it.

So, what’s on deck for the rest of the three-oh weeklong celebration you ask? Well, Scott is cooking dinner all week (did you read that honey?) Except for when we go out for our fancy meal. Still haven’t decided on where for that yet. (Gr peeps, any recs? Feel free to leave them in the comments! I’m looking for local owned place, doesn’t have to be fancy.) Then we will probably head up to the cottage for the weekend.

See weeklong celebration doesn’t really mean I am super spoiled. It is just fun to say, “Buuuuut, do I have to? It my birthday week!” I mean it's not like I get gifts everyday of anything.


So, you may be asking yourself "what's with the picture of the horse hooves Steph?" Well, let me tell you. A. I took this picture over Memorial Day weekend and I like it. B. It's my birthday week!

15 comments:

MrsSteak said...

The Winchester on Wealthy would be a yummy b-day dinner.

JD said...

I love love love Birthday weeks! That's the only way to celebrate.
Have a GREAT week Stephanie!
Much love,
Aunt Deb

Aunt Deb and Family said...

JORDAN? I don't know how that happened. OOPS!
XO
Aunt Deb

Keri said...

You always have the perfect Gracie pictures to accompany your posts. You'd think it was Gracie's birthday week by the smug look on her face! :-)

Happy birthday! Have a great week!

Beth said...

The Green Well
Bistro Bella Vita
Thornapple Daily Grill
Corez
Leo's
Cygnus
Bluewater Grill

...oh, and happy birthday!

Christina said...

Happy Birthday and LOVE both of your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Steph,
Happy early BDAY! It must be a family thing because Brian always wonders why the rest of the world gets a birthDAY and I get a birthWEEK!!! Its a Rothhaar thing I guess! Well it is looking like Brian, Nellie and I are coming up to the cabin Wednesday, Aug 5th to Sunday the 9th! SOOO excited...you have to get off work and come up!!! Have a great bday week and hope to hear from you soon!!!

Love, Jess

Anonymous said...

Steph:

A- Happy Birthday! I mean Happy Birthweek celebration.
B- I love the Haircut.
C- When you said, "Life can throw you for loops; it is just all in how you roll with it"- I had a moment of inspiration and realization...its soo true and thank you for reminder me and everyone else of this because you are such a great example of someone who has been thrown a HUGE LOOP..and rolled with it...and came out on top. Keep rollin! miss you.

LOVE nick

Anonymous said...

oh and ps. I like the picture of the horsey feet too :) Sometimes I take about 500 pictures of Charlie and think to myself..."Am I weirdo for just doing that?" But no, we just love animals- especially our own!

nick

Jen said...

Happy birthday week :) I hope you're enjoying it. I love the horse hoof pic and the beautiful Gracie shot :)

Aunt Deb and Family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY STEPHANIE! I HOPE IT'S A GREAT DAY!
Hugs and Kisses
Aunt Deb and Family

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph,
I remember your birthday post last year it made me cry this year's birthday post has made me smile. You deserve a Birthday Year not just a week.

BTY - I have the same tree trunks but they are healthy trunks!

Love, Aunt Paula

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

Great Blog! I added you to my blogroll, Cancer Blog Links at www.beingcancer.net
Take care, Dennis

Cameron VSJ said...

Hi,

I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

Thanks,

Cameron

cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

dojuma said...

Great blog