Monday, August 25, 2008

Home Sweet Home

After two weeks at the "Lakeside Retreat" I am home.  I had a great time with my parents.  I think this was the longest stretch of time I have spent with them since leaving for college, but we definitely got along better than  we did then!  I certainly did  a lot of recovering while I was there.  I feel like a a different person than who was dropped off up there two weeks ago!
Last Tuesday was my one month post operation mark.  We celebrated by going to the nicest restaurant in Northern Michigan, Aerie.  (Sorry for the poor picture, that is what I get for letting the waiter take it.) This meal was the first time I ventured out of my "safety foods".  I even had a glass of wine.  The dinner did go right through me and and that caused some dehydration, but it was delicious!  I had the fusilli, ti colored cork screw pasta with sundried tomatoes and spinach in a gorgonzola cream sauce.  Hmmm, so good.  It is good to now know that I can a special occasion meal every once in a while and I just need to be prepared for emptying the bag often and re-hydrating.    
It feels good to be home.  Even if I am home alone, damn Chrysler.  Later I have an appointment with my Stoma Nurse.  I have developed some sores around my stoma.  I hope there is an easy solution for them, they are starting to become very uncomfortable.  Then on Tuesday I have a post-op visit with my  Surgeon.  I am oddly very excited for this.   I think I just want to hear that I am progressing normally and maybe getting an idea of when to expect the second surgery.  
Hopefully, now that I am home I will resume to my normal blogging schedule.  I was just uninspired to write while I was at the cottage. One more thing, all my posts will not always be so upbeat especially while learning to live colonless and accepting my future with FAP.  I am human, my emotions range from being very happy to being melancholy.  I am sorry if anyone doesn't like to "hear" from me when I am anything but happy, but that is life.  If a post starts to go in a direction that you don't like, then stop reading.  I cannot be held responsible for your emotions after reading.  Thanks.  

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I just left you a comment to see how you were doing!! That was fast, LOL!! Glad you are still progressing!

Mandy Beach

Anonymous said...

Keep writing - good news or bad news I will keep reading. I look forward to the update from your surgeon.
Aunt Paula

Keri said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling better!

And please stop apologizing for any meloncholy posts. There's no need for apologies!

Teri said...

You write from the heart and thats why we love you

Teri said...

Actually we love you for lots of reasons but love to read your blog because you write from the heart...smile

Shana said...

It's great that you ventured into "unknown food" territory! Moods come and go. If anyone expects you to be upbeat all the time let's take out their colon, have them pass out and give them sores. I bet their mood will qucikly change! Keep posting no matter how you feel. It's always best to let out any feeling you have - good and bad!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you Steph! Your dinner sounded delicious! Good luck with your check-ups this week.

Love,
Cousin Mandy (you know a lot of Mandys & Amandas)

Maribeth said...

Glad to see you posting again. Glad your family took care of you. Like Keri said no need to apologize. I don't think anyone would expect all upbeat posts.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. I admire your spirit and your honestness. This is your blog, you can write whatever you want, they don't have to read it.

Sugarmouth O'Riordan said...

This is *your* house, you make the rules. Let it out!

Erin said...

hey girly! brody and i are up for a visit when ever you would like some company! let me know
erin

Unknown said...

Glad to see you had some good food. Honesty is what makes your blog so great. Anyone can watch TV if I want some censored BS. Write on! Fingers crossed for the visit!