Sunday, August 17, 2008

Progress

After a week at the "Lakeside Retreat" I have gained 3.5lbs, read over 1,350 pages, and can walk 1 mile at a time. Sounds like progress. There was one little hiccup though. I developed a staph infection around my incisions, three of them. (The infection is only topical, unlike my poor cousin Cody, who by the way is back in the hospital battling his infection. Needless to say if you have any spare prayers or well wishes he and his family could use them.) The good news is I am on antibiotics and they seem to be working. Also if anyone is ever in the Higgins Lake area I DO NOT recommend the local Urgent Care. I almost walked out when the Physician Assistant entered the room. She appeared to have rolled out of a bar and came straight to work, mind you this was 9 am. Camo truckers hat atop greasy not brushed hair, grungy and fraying sweater over beat up slightly browned jeans. Yes, very professional looking. Oh what am I thinking this is Northern Michigan.

Due to the staph infection, Jim and Dee, have not granted me permission to return home. Oh well. No complaints here. Since the start of the antibiotics I have become very light headed and dizzy again. I almost bit it today in front of them, that sealed the deal on me not going home anytime soon. Instead I get to stay here with a beautiful lake and my parents. I even heard a rumor that we may be heading to Traverse City and dining at Aerie (previously known as Trillium for my Mi readers) this week. I am spoiled.

I look completely different then when I arrived a week ago. Gone is the pale, weak me. I have gotten my color back plus a little tan and each day I am stronger. It is hard to imagine that one week ago I couldn't walk more than 300 feet at a time!

13 comments:

Keri said...

Glad to hear that you're making progress! Keep on enjoying the lake. It looks like you're going to have beautiful weather for your extended time up there.

Anonymous said...

Hello Beauty Queens!

I wish I was out enjoying the son and beautiful Higgins Lake.

The "doc-in-a-box" office sounds a little scary.

Keep up the good work Dee getting Steph back on her feet.

Steph, I'm glad to hear that your parents grounded you from going home. Probably the first time you've ever been grounded before!
Love Aunt Paula

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear your getting your strength back. Sounds like your parents are spoiling you rotten :)

Keith brought seasons 1-3 of Friends when we went golfing with Scott on Saturday, so they'll be waiting for you!

Glad to hear your making good progress! :)

Aunt Deb and Family said...

Stephanie, OMGosh!! I had blog withdraw. I haven't been by a computer in a couple of days and couldn't wait to get home to check in with how you are doing. Glad to hear you are getting stronger and sad to hear you have an infection, UGH! Be careful and continue to get stronger. Sounds like I have to remember Jim, Dee Dee and Higgins Lake when ever I might need a place to recuperate. Much love Steph, Aunt Deb

Heather said...

glad to hear that you are making progress, despite the infections... hope they clear up soon! Enjoy the respite time up there - and enjoy people waiting on you while it lasts! :)

Maribeth said...

Good job Mom and Dad! Way to take care of Steph. Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

We are thrilled that you are feeling better and that your mom and dad are taking care of you (making you walk, eat, etc). I would love to be on the lake with you as the weather looks so inviting and the choc fondue sounds so delicious.
Cody's scan came back neg and I am so thrilled and was afraid that the bar would have to come ......Hopefully all blood work comes back better tomorrow so we can get out of there. Thanks so much for text messaging him I think he really enjoyed it.
Love you much and think of you everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!Aunt cindy, uncle doug, cody and jake

Teri said...

Steph,we know you get your strength from your parents--they are great people and we are so glad they are able to care for you! Soak up all that love and sunshine! We are thinking of you everyday. This blog stuff is a great way to keep in touch- thanks for letting us know Cody was back in the hospital and then it is so nice to see the CT scan was ok without having to bother anyone.
I really do think you should take up a career in writing- you are so good- entertaining, informative, heartfelt.Keep healing! Love, Aunt Teri

Unknown said...

So glad you are feeling better and I'm sorry they hired a bar fly/doctor to your case. On a good note Aerie looks amazing! Keep on keepin' on.

Anonymous said...

Steph- Im happy to hear you are enjoying your stay at the Lake with your mom and dad...doesnt sound like a bad deal. Your trip to the local medical place reminds me of the time when Jessie acquired her injury up there when she attempted to knee board...ohhhh the memories. love and miss...
-Nick

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephers,
Ok, when I read about your medical experience up there, I got chills up and down!!! When I split my chin open, when I "attempted to knee board" like nick said, I experienced the same wonderful type of people, just strange!!! And they had to sew my face back together!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I survived!! Anyway, I am glad you are enjoying Jim and Dee and the beautiful lake, I cant wait to come up to Michigan and see you and the lake (we need to make definite plans for next summer!!). It was so good to see the title of your blog as "Progress". I am thinking and praying for you everyday!! Love, Jess

Anonymous said...

I knew that area had powerful magic in it. Now whether that magic comes from the location (lake, sun, cool breeze) or awesome parents (food, excerise and love)I am not quite sure. But obviously the combination works great. Keep up the great progress Steph. We love ya, Aunt Jay

Christina said...

Glad you are doing better!!