Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Holiday, what?

Recently I spoke with a nurse at Mayo about my upcoming holiday appt. The plan is to meet with Dr Gostout on Monday, the 22nd, to go over everything.  Then Tuesday, the 23rd, is the procedure.  The Doc is going to do an ERCP to make sure I am a candidate.  And if he says all is go, then he will continue on and attempt to remove the polyps.    All of this will be done under general anesthesia (like I had for the two main surgeries) instead of the sedation I am use to receiving for scopings.  

I stumbled upon this article about Submucosal Endoscopy with Dr Gostout.  If I am not mistaken, this is the procedure he is going to attempt with me.  It is fairly interesting.  Pay particular attention to the side pictures and text and the text under the heading "A Shift in Thinking".  

We will be staying in Rochester from the 21st through the 24th.  The doctor wants me to stay in town for a minimum of 24 hrs after the procedure in case of complications (but I am due to be  complication free, damn it).  I have a feeling this will be the extent of our holiday this year.  I'm working on  trying to find things for us to do/see/eat to help keep this from feeling like a ruined holiday.   So, if I have an Minnesotan readers out there, any must sees or restaurant reviews?  

Well, I must get back to Gracie.  It is cram time.  Graduation from puppy kindergarden is next week and we just hit the adolescent "I-do-what-I-want" and "I-can't-hear-you" phase.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph,

I sent you an email and it keeps coming back undeliverable? Is it smahyes1@gmail.com.

Paula

Anonymous said...

I am a gastro nurse in Minnesota. I follow your blog to help me understand what you the pateint is going through. I was recently at a workshop at the Mayo. I found the underground shopping mall area to be alot of fun. There is a popcorn joint that makes the best Chicago mix popcorn. As far as site seeing, I am no help. GO STEPH!

University of Iowa Meg said...

Hey- I am so glad I found your site. I am being referred to the Mayo clinic. How are you paying for it? My insurance says it is out of network for them :( I'm trying to figure some things out....Do you like this doctor as your GI?

Mandy said...

Hey Steph, not sure if it would work out or not with the holidays and all, but my hubby told me that the Mall of America is only about an hour north of Mayo. I need to call my sister-in-law, they go to Mayo's about twice a year for my niece. I know they go to the movies a lot when they are there.