Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why Not Me?

Why Me?  In the beginning, right after my diagnosis, I asked "Why me?" a lot.  At one point someone responded to me with "Why not you?"  That gave me a lot to chew on.   Why am I any more special? Why shouldn't I have some suffering in my life?  Why would someone else be any more deserving of this?  The questions have gone around and around in my head.  If at any point I started to feel bad for myself, I just thought "why not me?" 

Recently the original question of "why me?" has progressed. But from a different angle.  Now that once again I have narrowly escaped cancer, why me?  Why am I so lucky?   I see so many others being handed the the shit end of the stick.  Why don't I have to suffer while someone else does?  

It doesn't feel right.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Steph it is hard to see all that people have to go thro. But you too have been through so much! You have such a good spirit about you! That is why I think all people with health issues should read your blog. You made me laugh so hard about the undies leaping from your purse when paying for the eye doctor. I know you did not feel that it was so funny at the time but the way you wrote it really made me giggle.So keep blogging (oh and your description makes me feel like I was there) and I think you should be a motivational speaker for the
National FAP Foundation. Love, Aunt Teri

Anonymous said...

OH STEPH YOU HAVE HAD MORE THAN YOUR SHARE. IF YOU WERE NOT SO VERY SPECIAL YOU WOULD BE SAYING A LOT MORE THAN '' WHY ME'' I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO PROUD OF ANYONE IN MY LIFE. SCOTT HAS DONE A GOOD JOB OF KEEPING HIS CHIN UP. TAKE CARE OF GRACIE. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE YOUR BOOK PUBLISHED. LOVE YOU MIMI

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph, Is the pic from Doc's Beach in Bonita? How did Gracie enjoy her road trip? Glad you got to Florida. Hopefully you will make it back in April when we plan to visit. It would be great to see you!

Love,
Aunt Paula

Steph said...

Paula, nope not Doc's Beach, it's "Pup's Beach" :)